Certification ISO 14064 – Carbon Footprint
Climate change has been identified as one of the main challenges facing nations, governments, economic systems and the citizens in the coming decades. Climate change has implications for both human and for those natural systems and could lead to significant changes in the use of resources in production and economic activities.
As a response, we have been developed and implemented international, regional, national and local to limit concentrations of greenhouse gases (GHG) in Earth’s atmosphere. These initiatives are based on GHG quantification (Carbon Footprint), on monitoring, reporting and verification of GHG emissions and / or of their removal.
The scheme is open to any organization that provides products and services and who wants to quantify the greenhouse gas emissions associated with the life cycle of the products or services offered (Carbon Footprint), and communicate the results outside.
Some sectors have already joined with particular interest, including the food industry, the field of detergency, the demonstrations and events organizations, and all organizations whose activities are directed to the final consumer.
The regulatory framework to refer to in order to achieve certification of its carbon footprint internationally is the ISO 14064-1 which illustrate the principles and requirements, the level of the organization, for the quantification and reporting of gas emissions greenhouse gases (GHG) and their removal. It includes requirements for the design, development, management, reporting and verifying the inventory of greenhouse gases of an organization.
ISO 14064 is intended to be of benefit to organizations, proponents of projects and other stakeholders globally by providing clarity and consistency for quantifying, monitoring, report and validate or verify GHG inventories or projects related to GHG. In particular, the use of the standard allows:
- Increase the environmental integrity of GHG quantification
- Enhance the credibility, consistency and transparency of the quantification, monitoring and reporting of GHG, including reducing emissions and increasing the removal in projects related to GHG
- Facilitate the development and implementation of GHG management strategies and plans of an organisation
- Facilitate the development and implementation of projects related to GHG
- Facilitating the ability to monitor changes in performance and progress in reducing emissions and / or increase of GHG removal
- Facilitates the allocation of credits and exchange of emission reductions units or of the increase of GHG removal
The main benefits to be obtained are the following:
- Benchmarking between similar products and services
- Ease in the evaluation of alternative product configurations, to supply and production methods
- In the choice of raw materials and selecting suppliers on the basis of greenhouse gas emissions associated with them
- Knowledge base for initiating projects to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and quantify the results achieved
- Identification of opportunities to save on energy costs
- Demonstration to customers and stakeholders a real commitment to environmental and social responsibility
- Possible competitive advantages (eg. Green Public Procurement)
- Ease of adaptation to the requirements in the event of the introduction of schemes or mandatory regulations