Plastic second life certification PSV
The eco-compliance called “Plastic Second Life” is the tool to certify products of which the company ensures the identification, traceability and the percentage content of recycled plastics from post-consumer waste or pre-consumption or from their mixtures for the production of manufactured articles or their components
- The Brand Plastic Second Life is based on a certification scheme based on the Decree 8 May 2003, n. 203 and the application circular of the Ministry of Environment of 4 August 2004 and, only for the raw materials, the series of UNI 10667.
- The Brand Plastic Second Life is issued for materials and products certified by IIP which the manufacturer guarantees the identification, traceability and the percentage content of plastic from post-consumer materials used for the production of the same products, or parts thereof, within the limits technological laid down in that circular.
- The certification activities seeks the ultimate goal of providing the market with assurance that the manufacturer is able to continuously implement an effective system of identification, traceability and controls carried out and described in a technical procedure developed by the manufacturer and verified by IIP.
- The brand Plastic Second Life is a unique eco-label and is an environmental certification system product, dedicated to materials and articles made from the recycling of waste Plastics.
- The brand Plastic Second Life introduces the concept of “quality” in recycling plastics and the concept of “traceability” of recycled materials.
Secondary Raw Materials
The role of PSV in the identification of Secondary Raw Materials:
- The legal concept of “Secondary Raw Materials” descends from the waste legislation.
- In particular, the DM 5/2/1998 provides that the plastic waste in processes to be such when it conforms to the specification UNI-UNIPLAST 10667 (Att. 1, all sub. 1, typ. 6.1 and 6.2 of the DM 5/2 / 1998).
- This compliance shall be demonstrated by an expert on the material.
- The “Plastic Second Life” brand verifying the compliance of the material to the specific UNI-UNIPLAST 10667, is technical and appropriate legal instrument to classify plastic commodities second life.
The certification scheme requires:
- The adoption of a document formalized system for the technical characteristics of the product and its description
- The adoption of plans for production control and products with even any initial type testing on raw materials (UNI 10667)
- The adoption of an internal and external verification system
- The adoption of a system of marking and tracing of the branded product
The recipients of the brand Plastic Second Life are:
- Companies, because it allows to qualify the artifacts and secondary raw materials
- Public Administration, because it allows you to recognize the artifacts within the Green Public Procurement (GPP or Green Public Procurement)
- Citizens, because it allows them to operate environmentally friendly choices and implement environmentally benign behavior
- GDO, because it allows you to actively respond to the increasing demands for environmentally sustainable consumption by a significant customer to environmental issues and to anticipate trends in this respect; GDO increasingly attentive and sensitive to the environmental variable is increasing the pressure on processors to ensure these plastic products “green”
- The environment, because it promotes the use of renewable resources, using recycled materials also reduces the production of greenhouse gases
The advantages that the company gets by adopting the brand Plastic Second Life are:
- Allow to participate in tenders race purchase of the Public Administration; In fact, the brand Plastic second Life certifies the compliance of the material or the product at DM 203/03 (Green Public Procurement and Green Public Procurement-GPP) which requires (from the PA) Purchase of at least 3 out of 10 in artifacts recycled material
- Optimize the management and handling of waste materials because it ensures through compliance with the mark traceability and controlled consumption of recycled materials
- Develop new products and services in the future world
- Maximize the potential of existing markets and penetrate new markets with compliant products
- Reduce risk and liability, ensure safe and informed decision-making through risk management and compliance
- Reduce costs through a structured approach to identifying, measuring and managing the use of recycled material
- Improve performance and productivity by identifying the most effective solutions to reduce consumption
- Achieve integration with existing management systems: align the management system of recycled materials with existing management systems in order to obtain greater benefits. Complies with ISO 14021 – environmental claims
PSV brand has several variations:
- PSV recycling: materials and products derived from separate collection whose specifications are defined by Ministerial Decree 203/03 and the circular of the Ministry of August 4, 2004 (the Regulations). For the only post consumer raw materials are required to satisfy the standards of the UNI 10667 series as applicable
- PSV industrial waste: for materials and products derived from materials from industrial waste and meet minimum recycled content of plastic materials as described in the application circular of the Ministry of Environment of 4 August 2004. For the only raw materials from industrial waste materials is required compliance with the standards of the UNI 10667 series as applicable
- PSV MixEco: for materials and products derived from mixtures of material originating from separate collection and / or industrial waste which comply with a content of recycled plastics in the minimum of 30%.
- PSV Food Contact: for the food packaging industry.
For specific requirements, users should refer to certification regulations prepared for the different types of brand PSV.